If you want to travel outside Australia, you need a passport.

Australian Passport application forms are available from Australia Post, or the Australian Passport Office.  To apply for a passport you will need an original copy of your birth certificate and at least two other forms of identification listed on the passport applications.  If you are under 18 you will need your parents consent to obtain a passport.

You will need to have specific passport photos taken, and have an interview to lodge the application and pay the set fee.

A passport remains the property of the Australian Government and is needed to travel in and out of Australia.  If your passport is lost or damaged, you should report it to the Australian Passport Office immediately.  If your passport is stolen you should report to both the Australian Passport Office and the police.