Whether you are being kicked out of home, or becoming independent from your parents, there are a number of reasons to contact Centrelink for help:

  • Centrelink provides payments to assist with income, studying, family and emergencies – contact your local Centrelink office to see what payments you may be eligible for.
  • If you are having difficulties with your parents, guardian or personal circumstances, a social worker at Centrelink might be able to help you. Social workers can also refer you to other organisations that might be able to help.

You need to be entirely honest with Centrelink about whether you receive money from other sources, whether you are living with other people and your personal circumstances – there are serious penalties for making a false declaration to Centrelink. These penalties can include fines or even prison.

Take a look at the Centrelink website for more information.