Car Insurance

Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP)

When you pay to register your car, you also pay for Compulsory Third Party Insurance.  Compulsory Third Party Insurance, or CTP, is third party personal insurance for people who are hurt in car accidents.  In Tasmania, it is known as the MAIB payment on your registration.

CTP Insurance does not cover everyone in every circumstance, but may be able to pay a medical benefit, disability benefit, loss of earnings benefit or death and funeral expenses benefit for situations that meet the eligibility requirements.


CTP Insurance does not cover property damage caused by a car accident.  To make sure you are covered for property damage (for example, to pay for the damage that you cause to someone else’s car), you can take out third party property damage insurance cover with an insurance company, or if you want to cover yourself for damage that may happen to your own car, you can take out full comprehensive cover.

The amount you pay annually to be insured is called the insurance premium, and the premium will vary depending on your level of cover (comprehensive insurance, or just third party), as well as things like your age or the type of car that you drive. Make sure you do your research and get a few quotes in order to make sure you’re getting the best deal.

Comprehensive insurance will also cover your car for things like theft, natural disasters, storm damage, fire and vandalism as well – be sure to check out exactly what the insurance company covers when you get your quote.