A landlord should have building and public liability insurance. However, you should consider taking out out contents insurance, as your landlord is not responsible for this. Contents insurance protects your personal property like clothes, electronics and furniture.

If you do not have contents insurance, the landlord does not have to pay you for the value of any stolen or damaged items.