Same Sex Relationships

In Australia, the right to get married is not determined by sex or gender.  Couples in same-sex relationships can get married in the same way that heterosexual couples can.

If you wish to get married overseas, you should find out more information from the embassy or consulate of the country in which you would like to marry.  Foreign governments may require you to provide Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) before your marriage can go ahead. These CNI certificates can be issued by DFAT before you leave, but some foreign governments may require your CNI certificate to be provided by the Australian embassy or consulate within their country, and there may be documents, such as a Single Status Certificate, that you need to take with you.